Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Training for Mt Whitney

When I first went on the South Beach Diet three years ago, I lost 40 lbs. The hardest part of the diet is giving up all sugar, starches and even fruit for the first two weeks. You then gradually add a piece of fruit. Well over the years I have maintained the weight, but have eaten sugar again. My sister tells me I am a closet sugarholic. I do love my sugar. So, since I am now in training mode for the next four months, to prepare for my climb to Mt. Whitney, once again I have given up sugar and am back on the SBD.

This morning I was to climb the Alta trail, but it was hard waking up, so no hiking today. But, I did do 2.5 miles in doggie walks, so I guess that’s better than nothing. Tomorrow morning I am determined to begin getting up @ 5 am and do my hike. It’s a grueling 5-mile hike, with over a 1,000 feet in the first mile, once I hit the trailhead.

April is a pretty busy month for me, and if I want to get as much hiking in as possible before the AZ intense heat arrives. However, I also have a very nice elliptical that I can use when the heat is too much for me.


I will be adding a lot of stories on my blog inclcuding "Willa and Me", so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment