Friday, April 3, 2009

Indoor rock climbing for the 1st time in 18 months

My sister and I went indoor rock climbing last night. It was the first time I have climbed since my truck accident 18 months ago. I am participating in an outdoor rock-climbing course, via Scottsdale Community College, this weekend and I wanted to test out my shoulder strength.

We had a great time and the shoulder held out pretty good. I tried, a couple of times, to climb the very slanted wall, but I wasn’t able to complete it. When I release myself from the wall, I ended up swinging out, almost hitting Tami, since I unable to come straight down, on the belay rope.

The second challenge for me was the wall with the ledge. I have conquered this in the past as well. I only climbed to the ledge itself, not wanting to hurt my shoulder by having to hoist myself up and over the ledge. I didn’t want to injure myself before this weekend.

Now, all I have to do is pack my backpack and get a good night sleep. I am very excited about the climbing weekend, and know that again I will be the oldest participant there, since this is a college course. But, hey I am the only beginner climber that has already taken an indoor climbing course, via the college. So I am going to show those young folks a thing or two.

I will post when I return from my trip and add pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment