Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 43/181 Days / 6-Months 600-Mile Challenge




Day 43 Training Adventure:

I am on day 43 of my 181/6-Month 600-Mile Challenge.  Before I even begin, I am sure some of you are asking yourselves, “Really, Teri Ann…. 600-Miles, I think you have lost your mind.”  If any of you know anything about AZ, the best time to do outdoor activities is between November and April.  This challenge is quite easy.  For example, last year’s challenge was 100-Miles per month, still bringing the total to 600-Miles by the end of April.  However, I decided to change it up a little, by having the grand total challenge of 600-Miles.  This way, one of us could only do 50 miles in one month, but be able to make up for the missing miles in the upcoming months. 

I am sure your other question is, what’s in it for those that make this challenge?  Well, gratification for one and knowing that you did an awesome job in completing this goal.  Plus, I will be having a nice dinner party with those that completed the challenge and giving away door prizes. 

At this moment, this challenge is only for my group, “AZ Hiking Gals”.  There are 15 of us in the group, very small.  I think there is only four that have committed to this challenge, but hoping others will join in.

I am preparing for the Iron Girl 10-Miler Race on Sunday in Fountain Hills.  My friend, Angela, and I will be taking on this challenge.  In November, Angela and I completed the Women’s ½ Marathon in 3 hrs & 22 minutes and 25 seconds with a 15:30 minute/miles.  We actually beat our goal for this event (3.5 hours) and were excited that we were able to keep up with that pace.

Today’s training hike was #3 this week.  I hiked Bear Mountain in Sedona on Sunday (4.75 miles with over 3,100 feet elevation gain); Mormon Trail-Hidden Valley Trail-National Trail-Mormon Loop Trail; and a secret trail in South Mountain that I completed today.  Yes, I have trails that I keep secrete.  They are only for the fit and still kick my butt.  The mileage ranges from 2.75 to 6 miles with quite a bit of elevation gain that will get your heart pumping and you wishing that you had those oxygen masks that they use on Everest (just kidding….but not really).

My hike gained 1,000 feet in just .95 miles and then on a scary-ass ridgeline that had these crazy steep descent sections, that it made me glad that I was not scared of heights.  However, there was a little twist to the hike.  A storm was coming into the valley and there were crazy, gusty winds up on the ridgeline so bad that I thought it was going to blow me off the mountain.  In fact, at one point, if I wasn’t sitting my butt down on the trail bracing myself, I actually ducked into a boulder cropping area and praying if there were any snakes in there with me that they be very quiet and let me just sit for a moment.  I finally continued on the trail and actually had to take my hat off because of the forced winds. Did I say it was crazy on the ridgeline?  I finally made it down to the third trail on this loop and once I turned west, the mountainside was to the south of me, keeping the wind from me.  I decided to do some trail running at this point because I had to fight my way up the trail and ridgeline that I didn’t get any running in until this point.

Tomorrow’s Adventure:  Biking (easy) and perhaps Zumba

No comments:

Post a Comment