Sunday, March 31, 2013

Life's Adventures continues on......

2012 was certainly a crazy and busy year for this chica and 2013 is already been a whirlwind of craziness as well.  During the summer, I will be doing my recertification for my Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course, as well as continuing teaching Pet CPR, First Aid and Pet Care Classes.

I never thought I would say this, but my son, Justin and I have something in common to talk about now......medicine/medical issues.  It's ironic, I now turn to him when I have questions on medical issues and he seems to get really excited when explaining the medical world to me.  In fact, 5 years ago I would have never thought in my wildest dreams of pursuing anything in the medical field, let alone learning animal and human medical medicine. 

Learning about the different medical issues that pertain to animals and humans can be quite tricky when learning vital signs for a human vs. a dog/cat, for example.  Did you know that a normal pulse for a cat is 225+?  I think that's because cats can get so crazy agitated in such a short time, but that's a resting pulse.

As a hiker since 2004, I decided to take my first Wilderness First Aid course, so I could help other hikers that were distressed on the trail.  Who knew that very first class would take me to where I am today.  Growing up, I thought I wanted to be a veterinarian, but decided against it when I witnessed my equine vet do knee surgery on my horse and I thought I was going to pass out.  I am still not gung-ho about seeing my own blood, but show me a person with blood oozing out of all their pores and I am okay with that....funny huh?

I have several certifications in medical, as well as rescue, that it's time to bite the bullet and finally go for my EMT Certification this year.  I will start classes in August, which means very early morning and late night studying and really getting no sleep.  This had actually been on my list to do in 2010, but life got in the way and it's time that this 52-year-old female (no, you're never too old, according to Justin) grew in her medical knowledge.  As a WFR (think of an Wilderness EMT), I can make a splint out of anything I can find out in the wilderness (think McGyver) as well as deal with hypothermia or hyperthemia and other issues.  

Justin seems to think I should work for an ambulance company part-time with my certification, but I just want it to increase my knowledge and who knows perhaps I will do more in the medical field.


No comments:

Post a Comment